Follow these basic tips to get into good sleep habits.
- Have a consistent bedtime which is early enough to make sure you are getting at least seven hours of sleep a night.
- Wind down an hour before bedtime by taking a bath, reading, meditating and any other relaxing activities.
- Turn off your phone
- Make your sleeping area relaxing with a comfortable bed, clean sheets and soft lighting.
- Avoid caffeine and excessive alcohol, as well as rich and fatty foods which can all disrupt sleep patterns.
- Exercise at least ten minutes a day – even just a slow walk will make a difference.
- Make sure you get some exposure to natural light during the day to keep your body producing melatonin, which makes you sleepy at night.
- Keep your bedroom dark at night so your body clock (circadian rhythm) learns to differentiate between night and day.