Do you ever have those days where you wake up and feel a bit blah? You’re not tired because of a late night – but your energy is low. Nothing is going particularly badly but you’re still not feeling great. You just can’t really identify why your mood is lower than usual?
This is the time to reach for a citrus essential oil. They’re characterised by their ability to uplift, energise and invigorate our senses. Plus citrus essential oils tend to be a bit cheaper to buy than some essential oils so they’re an easy way for a quick wellbeing boost.
One of the rules I live by is, if it’s a zesty fruit, then it’s going to fill you with zest. Yes, I really am full of pearls of wisdom… However, it’s an easy way to remember what essential oils are good for mood boosting.
Citrus essential oils are best used first thing in the morning (rather than last thing at night), or when you’re feeling below par to lift your spirits and put a spring in your step.
What are citrus essential oils?
Citrus essential oils are:
- Mandarin (red or green)
- Bitter orange
- Blood orange
Blending scents with citrus essential oils
The scents from essential notes are characterised as top, middle and base notes. Citrus fruits are top notes which means whilst their initial smell is strong, they do evaporate quickly. It’s worth mixing with a middle or base notes to help the scent last longer.
Spices and citrus blend well together, such as ginger and lemon, cinnamon and sweet orange.
Woody scents and citrus also work well together. Try rosewood and bergamot or cedarwood and lime.
Seven benefits of citrus essential oils
- They’re antioxidants. Antioxidants are molecules that fight free radicals in your body, which can cause harm if their levels become too high in your body. They’re linked to multiple illnesses, including diabetes, heart disease and cancer. However, free radicals also serve important functions that are essential for health such as fighting infection so we need them too. There are lifestyle and environmental factors that can promote excessive free radicals so antioxidants help balance them out.
- They eliminate germs. Citrus essential oils are a natural disinfectant. Mix with water for a natural cleaning spray or you can use orange peel and vinegar too.
- They act as a natural air freshener. Mix citrus and peppermint essential oils with distilled water and grain alcohol and add into a spray bottle for a natural air spray.
- Use to wash off insecticides and pesticides from fruit and vegetables by adding a couple of drops to water.
- Ease anxiety and irritable moods by creating an uplifting blend to use in a diffuser. Orange and bergamot are one of my favourites.
- Improve circulation by adding to a carrier oil such as argan oil and massage on to the skin.
- Give yourself an energy boost by either adding to a carrier oil or I add a few drops to a crystal I wear around my neck. What can I say? The hippy life chose me… 😉